Saturday, March 22, 2008

Anyone want a cat?

I really do love animals. I have pretty much always had a pet my whole life. Let me just get that out of the way. I really do not want to come across as an animal-hater.

However, lately I have become less fond of our cat. I think it all started back about 2 1/2 years ago when we brought Adam home from the hospital. Prior to this day, our cat had always been our baby. He would lay on us on the couch, sleep with us at night, and was always around. He loved both me and Jeff. Now things are different.

From the minute we walked in the door with a new baby, things haven't been the same. When we first got home from the hospital, we set Adam down in his carrier on the floor and the cat walked up to the carrier, sniffed Adam and then threw up on the floor. Jeff and I didn't know what to think. The cat did that about 2 other times over the next few days and then after that, he just stayed away from Adam. Now, that seems to be the goal of the cat - stay away from the kid.

For those of you who know our cat, you know he is not the friendliest cat in the world. In fact, he is kind of mean to strangers (but always nice to us). Jeff and I were genuinely worried about how the cat would react to a new baby. Other than the puking, the cat hasn't bothered Adam at all - even after Adam chases him all around the house. The cat also doesn't really seem to care for me either. I think he associates me with that thing that makes him puke. He seems to only like Jeff anymore.

The cat is just getting on my nerves now. I guess I never thought of myself as a clean freak, but I just cannot stand the cat hair anymore. I try to keep our house clean, but no matter how hard I try there is always going to be cat hair. The other thing that is frustrating is that I have a good friend and a brother who is allergic to cats. It is hard for them to come over to our house because they start sneezing.

So, if you or someone you know would like to adopt a cat - please let me know. I can't bring myself to take him to the pound, so his fate is in your hands.
Did I mention he is really friendly and loving?

No comments: