Friday, September 25, 2009

This is my kid on peanuts

Jeff and I have often wondered if Adam's peanut allergy has gone away. The first time he had peanut butter was when he was about 13 months old. He had a peanut butter sandwich at my moms and then had another later on in the evening. That night on the way up for his bath, we noticed a rash all up his back that was spreading all over his body. The hives stuck around for a couple of days until it was all out of his system. We visited an allergy doctor (I'm sure there is an official name for that type of doctor, but whatever) and they tested him for peanut allergy. Of course he tested positive. So, since then he hasn't been exposed to peanuts. Until today.

I received a call from day care a little after noon saying that they "think" Adam might have eaten peanuts. Turns out that there was some candy in the room and he must have eaten some. Whether it was a kid who gave it to him or a teacher, not 100% sure, but I have a feeling I know which one it was. Regardless, Adam was red with hives from head to toe. He was crying and had a small fever. He was itching so bad. He was also swollen, especially his face. It was absolutely awful. He also had a runny nose and they said he had been sneezing. I took him home and laid with him on the couch just scratching his back, arms, and legs for about 45 minutes or so waiting for the Benedryl to kick in. After about an hour and another dose of Benedryl (ordered by the doctor) he was feeling a little better. By about 3:30 he was feeling pretty good wanting to play and eat. We dodged the bullet today, but it makes me scared for what will happen next time. Everyone always tells us that the more they are exposed to peanuts the more severe the reaction will be. Tonight he still has a rash all over his back and stomach, but it's nothing like it was and he isn't itching anymore.

Here are some pictures of what he looked like. Although they really do not do him justice.

Poor little guy. I just felt so bad for him. It kills me to see him suffer like that. Thankfully he is ok and we just need to speak with the day care to make sure this NEVER happens again.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Glad he is ok. I don't think I would be very happy with the daycare though!